Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Test rides . . . and an interesting-looking Profile

I don't even like red . . .

So, how I ended up with three red bikes, I'm not really sure, but I have a red Mako, red Colnago Mexico, and a red Bianchi. One is 57 cm, the other is 58 cm, and the Bianchi is 61 cm. So, today I took all three for a test ride to see which one I liked least so I could sell it.

I got on the Colnago first, a bike I had not ridden for a few weeks, and one on which I just put the wheels that came on the Gios Torino I parted out several weeks ago. The bike rode fantastically. I really let it fly down the hill on Skyline Truck Trail heading west from my driveway.

I had to do a little adjustment to the front derailleur at the turn around point and as soon as I tightened the cable, I was back on the road.

When I got home, I put that bike away and got on the Bianchi. Now, this was really going to be a test because I am not used to Downtube shifters, but I figured them out and only did some "dyslexic" shifting one time.

That bike is big for me, but oh, so comfortable. The geometry is very relaxed, the head tube lays back a bit more than that on the Colnago.

I got home, and after helping a friend over the phone with a computer problem, got out the Mako, and aluminum-framed bike with a carbon fork.

As far as the "road noise," I really didn't feel the difference between the Mako and the two steel bikes I had just ridden. I listened to Cheryl Wheeler on my headphones as I flew down the hill and then pedaled slowly back up the hill in the heat of the late morning.

Originally, I was only going to "test" the three red bikes, but then I got out the Ti bike, a frame I recently built up with some DuraAce parts I bought on eBay and DuraAce parts that came off the Gios.

Now, everyone talks about how smooth Ti bikes are. Well, it must be the geometry of this frame, or perhaps the type of Titanium, but it seems I could feel every little bump in the chip seal asphalt as I rode up the steep driveway and then down the hill.

Of the four bikes, surprise, surprise, the Ti bike was the least pleasureable to ride.

So, now the decision is easy which one to part with to cull my herd. Anyone want to buy a Vintage 59 cm. Titanium frame?

Here is the interesting Profile of the rides I took this morning:




No comments: