Sunday, September 20, 2009

Did my good deed for the day

I took my usual ride to the Lyons Valley/Japatul intersection and on the way back saw a guy ahead of me walking alongside his bike. As I got closer, I saw he was limping and then realized he had been on a hand cycle. The hill from Four Corners up to Wisecarver was too much for him, so he was pulling the bike. I stopped and walked with him and at the top we caught up to his friend, Fred, also on a hand cycle.

Although the day wasn't too hot, they had been riding for several hours and had run out of water. When we got to my driveway, they stopped. I rode home and came back in my car, carrying cold water to refill their bottles and camelback.

They said I was a lifesaver. Since the rest of the ten mile ride is mostly downhill, I don't know about that, but dehydration can sneak up on you, as it did to a cyclist as he rode with Trek Travel through the Pyranees in Spain.

It was a beautiful day for a ride. I rode the Klein bike again today. I tried to get going as fast as I did on the Bianchi, but 41 mph was all I could attain. That is fast enough . . . The profile was the same as the one from the previous ride, although the track has a lot more spikes in it because of the slow ascent up Skyline Truck Trail as I walked the last half mile.



No comments: