Saturday, November 22, 2008

A really fun ride on a gorgeous, gorgeous day!

Before we took off, several of us visited in the Ralph's parking lot, so we didn't get started at 8:00 like a couple of other groups who also ride on Saturday morning. Today I rode with Steve, and two people I just met, Jeannie and Tom. Boy, it was a fun ride.

As we rode down Willow Glen, and later on Dehesa Road, I could smell the big Saturday morning breakfasts being prepared and served in the kitchens of the houses we passed. When we got to the "rest stop," Larry and his wife and son were still there. He showed me the cool Flight Deck computer he has on his bike. It has buttons on the handlebars for changing the screens to see the data that is important.

I got a late start up the hill because I had trouble getting my cleats in the Look pedals Steve gave me. Today was the first day riding with them, and since they are "one-sided," I have to work on my technique.

At the top of the hill we made the decision to ride down South Grade. This time I left plenty of room between myself and the guys in front of me so I could ride full speed, using "counter-steering" to round the curves. Since Tom has a motorcycle, I asked him if he counter steers and when he said "Yes," I said, "Would you tell Steve. Maybe he'll believe it from a man because he doesn't understand it when I explain the technique."

On the way back down Dehesa Road and Willow Glen, Jeannie and I drafted behind the men most of the time. When we arrived back at Willow Glen and Jamacha, Jeannie said, "That was sure an easy ride. I feel fresh as a daisy." Tom didn't have that same opinion since he fought the headwind most of the way . . .



After the ride, we sat outside the Coffee Grounds coffee shop visiting until it was time to take off our different directions to complete our Saturday afternoon errands.

As usual, I went to the nearby Goodwill Store hoping to find a second hand treasure.

The day was fantastic, and it sure is nice to be feeling better again.


No comments: