Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Good Samaritan Comes to my Rescue

As I pedaled hard up Dehesa hill, I suddenly heard an awful crunching sound and couldn't pedal anymore. I struggled to get my feet out of the pedals, so I could stop before falling over. I turned around and looked at the derailleur on my bike. It was turned upside down on top of the cassette . . .

The guys, including Hector who is a very good bike mechanic, took off the derailleur and shortened my chain so I could ride the bike back to town in one gear.

Because it has been cold, I haven't worn my short-sleeved "Kokopelli" jersey for several weeks, but this morning I decided to get it out and wear it. When my bike chain hopped onto a larger sprocket on the rear cluster and I could not pedal anymore, I impulsively stuck out my thumb when I saw a pickup truck approaching.

The man turned around and stopped. When Steve and I explained the problem and told him where I needed to go, he volunteered to take me and my bike back to the RSD shopping center.

On the dash of his truck was a little Kokopelli figure . . .


What are the odds?

Here are the tracks of my shortened ride:

No comments: